That’s About All I Can Say

Sat. 25 Nov. ‘44

4:45 p.m.


Dear folks,

Just quit work so I’ll write until supper time. I think I’ll go in to town tonight as it’s my last chance. Last night after I wrote to you I wrote short letters to Dick H. and Rudy Helle. Then I dubbed my boots, and got to bed at about 9:00. I was up at the usual time this morning, dressed, out for reveille, turned in my blankets to be cleaned, and then went to breakfast – eggs, toast, butter & milk. After eating I shaved, fixed up my stuff and went to work. I got my report out, entered a lot of stuff and spent the rest of the time helping pack stuff. At noon I quit for dinner – potatoes, beets, salad, bread, jello and fruit salad. After eating I got in a few games before going to work again. Chow time.

Sun. 26 Nov. ’44 – 12:15 noon. Back again. It’s a work day today so I’ll write until time to go back. After dinner yesterday I worked until about 4:30 helping with packing. Then I quit for supper and wrote on this until we ate – potatoes, salad, bread, butter and pudding. After eating I cleaned up, changed my clothes and at about 6:00 went in to town. Buck was still working so I took a package in and mailed it out for him. Then I walked around a little, got some ice cream and waited at the U.S.O. until he came in a little after 8:30. We looked over the situation and finally went to a show. It was “In the Meantime Darling,” a comedy with Jean Crane. It was a pretty good picture plus a newsreel, cartoon and a March of Time. It was about 10:45 by the time we got out. We caught a bus and got about ½ way when the brakes caught fire or something happened. We stopped and they had to stop an empty bus in order to get us back. By the time I got to bed it was about midnight. I was really sleeping when the lights came on at 6:15 this morning. We got up, dressed and fell out for reveille. We were the only company out there. At the usual time we ate breakfast –cakes, butter, bran flakes, milk, and grapefruit. After breakfast I went back to bed and slept until 8:15 before I went to work. I did my report, fixed up my boys who are being transferred at the last minute to get us down to authorized strength and got my records all arranged. At about 11:45 we quit and I ate – potatoes (sweet), salad, dressing, bread, butter, peanut butter, cookies & ice cream. Now here I am. The company is let off now and then can even get passes which is quite unusual at this stage. I unfortunately have to work. Just how long I don’t know yet. We have to have all our stuff packed tonight so I’ll do that as soon as I get through. I can see myself now, rifle on one shoulder, duffle bag on the other, overcoat on my arm & pack on my back. It may balance up pretty well. I understand I’m going to travel in style. I’m supposed to be in a stateroom with the 1st/Sgt. & platoon sgt., which may be a pretty good deal. I intend to do a lot of writing. During that space of time I ought to be able to write a short letter to everyone who writes to me. Then I’ll be all caught up & they’ll all have my address. From then on it’s up to them. This will probably be the last letter you’ll get until I arrive as we can’t mail them off the train. This is my last uncensored letter. I understand yours to me won’t be but of that I’m not positive. My letters will be much less interesting from now on I imagine but we’ll see. It quit raining yesterday and hasn’t started yet again but it’s pretty cloudy. Our stuff will be outside again tomorrow so it better not rain. Well its 12:45 so I’ll sign off for now.

Back at 4:45 p.m. I went back to work at 1:00 and we worked until 2:30 making a final check on everything. Then I came back and started to pack. We have definite instructions on how everything goes. I washed out some stuff that was dirty as its hard telling when we might be able to on the other end. We have to carry all our necessary items for the trip – sox, underwear, hankies, toilet articles, rain coat, etc. in our pack. The rest of our stuff goes in the duffle bag and will be loaded in a baggage car. That’s good as it saves me having to carry it around here at least. I have all my stuff packed now or fixed so I can toss it in in a couple minutes. The sun is out now and it looks like a clear day tomorrow (I hope). I dressed and ate at 4:30 – potato salad, tomatoes, bread, cheese & pickles. Now here I am. So that’s about all I can say. You’ll get a letter from me probably about a week from Mon. or Tues. So I guess that’s about all I can say. I’ll be seein’ you. So long for awhile,


U no Who?

Share your thoughts