Mexican Donkey Curtains

Tuesday July 20, 1943

9:05 p.m.


Dear folks,

Whew! Another hot day. The temperature in study tonight was 90 degrees and the humidity 74 %. They have graciously consented to let us unbutton our top button and loosen our tie in study hall. Now ain’t that nice of them.

I got to bed at about 10:30 again last night and was up at the first note of the bugle at 5:15. I can be sleeping soundly but the minute it blows I’m on my feet. I dressed and lay back down til reveille. After reveille I lay down again for awhile, then swept before breakfast. I had French toast, syrup, toast, butter, Rice Krispies, milk & grapefruit. After breakfast I made my bed and got ready for class. From 7 to 8 we had chem. lecture. From 8 to 9 we had military, on equipment this time. Then from 9 to 10 we had a physics lecture. From 10 to 11 we had a study period. I had finished my physics problems in lecture so I worked on Trig. At 11 we beat it back to dinner – spaghetti, beans, salad, bread, butter, milk and graham cracker pudding and orange drink. After dinner at 12 we went to study again until 2. I signed out and went to the Union to the store. I got some notebook paper and a card to send Nate showing the Union. He’s written 3 times without an answer so I dashed off a line on the card. I also bought a shirt. It reminds me some of your Mexican Donkey curtains. There were washing instructions, which I am sending along to you. I think I’ll wait and let you be surprised at what it’s like when you see it. Shucks! Now I can’t find the instructions but its’ the old story, iron on the back, etc. I came back to the library and spent the time on English. From 2 to 3 we had geography. He goes so fast I get about half of the stuff in my notes and he says we’ll have to go faster. Yi. From 3 to 3:30 we had a short study. Then we got rid of our books and fell out to drill. It was a beautiful day to drill. The humidity only about 75 % and the temperature not over 95 degrees I think. Oh boy what fun. We drilled til 4:30 and had quite a lot of real drilling too. Our outfit is pretty sharp. We are the best. It’s because the boy in command is really on the ball. At 4:30 we quit. I took a shower before supper. I got no mail today. I usually don’t on Tues. At 5:15 I went to supper – potatoes, dressing, peas, salad, pickles, bread, butter, milk, and cherry dessert! After eating I put new laces in my shoes that were repaired and tried to shine them but they won’t even begin to shine for some reason. At 6, I went over to the Union and had a chocolate soda with a roommate [one of the many (e pluribus unum)]. At 7 we went to study hall. I cleaned up my Trig. and then did my History. That took til 9:05 when I started this. 3 of us, Freese, I, and a fellow from St. Louis Mich. are 3rd floor latrine orderlies for the next week. That will take our time mornings but we leave at 7 and nearly everybody else on that floor goes at 8 so it won’t do much good to clean it up. They are having a tennis tournament starting next Mon. So far about ½ dozen of the sharp boys have signed up. I’d sort of like to although I wouldn’t stand a chance. Still one never knows till he tries. The big fault is I’m out of practice and these G.I. clod hoppers slow a person down. Maybe if I see some of the other guys in my category signing up I will too. We have til Fri. night. I can beat 1 or 2 maybe. Just about everybody plays. Well that is the story for today, I believe, so I’ll call it Finis Diei (I hope that’s right for “end of the day”).




Share your thoughts